When I was pregnant with Rosie, my husband and I thought that we would stay in our Greenwich Village apartment; however, shortly after I gave birth to Rosie we realized this was no longer the place for our growing family. As much as we loved our building, the night-life, and close proximity to the pulse of the city, it no longer complemented what we needed as a new family of three. We needed more space, a park for Rosie to run around and I wanted to be somewhere where I wouldn’t be greeted with an eye roll for bringing my stroller and baby along with me…So we packed up our things and moved to the UWS a few short months after Rosie was born. Among the many benefits of being an UWSider (aka living a stone’s throw away from the greatest park in the world) the entire atmosphere is a lot more family-friendly.
And while we might not be in Greenwich Village anymore, another perk of the Upper West Side is that the restaurants are much more accommodating to families. Not only is there more space, so you never feel like your crammed into a tiny restaurant – the UWS has more of a neighborhood feel so your everyday patrons are mostly families. That said, you can be certain that you won’t be greeted with an eye roll for bringing along your stroller & kids (like you might be in other parts of the city). Below I’ve included my TOP FIVE FAVORITE KID-FRIENDLY RESTAURANTS on THE UWS.
- French Roast: Parisian-style bistro-bar-café. We have been going here since Rosie was a baby. The waiters and staff are super friendly and you cannot go wrong with any of the breakfast and lunch options. Bonus: the kids menus come with crayons. I highly recommend orderING the French toast, Croque Madame or steak sandwich (or all three).
- PJ Clark’s: American Brassiere. Hands down my favorite lunch spot. The checkered tablecloths and delicious burger (complete with a side of fries) make this the quintessential NYC spot. They don’t offer a traditional kids’ menu, but they are happy to whip up kid-friendly portions of grilled cheese sandwiches, sliders & more! There are also a handful of locations, one of my favorites being downtown in Battery Park. Their outdoor seating is perfect for warm summer months where the kids can run around on the promenade.
- Good Enough to Eat: Three words: breakfast, breakfast, breakfast. Pro-tip: Get there early because there will undoubtedly be a line around the block. If you are a parent, chances are you’ll be up well before the brunch rush commences around 11:30- 12 pm. Think traditional diner fare: fluffy pancakes (with syrup, of course), eggs, French toast and more!
- The Ribbon: This spot is fun for the whole family. The oversized restaurant and bar is the perfect place to grab brunch with family & friends. Dad doesn’t have to miss a beat during his beloved sports games because they have a handful of big screens and craft brews. This is also a great spot to host a small birthday party or gathering! There is a lot of space and the kids’ menu is never a miss!
- Serafina: An authentic Italian trattoria serving homemade pastas & more. Typically, we dine here for dinner, but we recently discovered they offer brunch, and, of course had to try it. The brunch menu is top notch and they offer a great kids’ menu, too. I love snagging a table by the large windows so Rosie can color and people watch at the same time (two of her favorite things)! This place is rarely crowded during the day, which is always a plus!
Urban Jungle is an award-winning firm that specializes in an innovative “neighborhood-first” approach that helps buyers find the right neighborhood for their family based on personality and lifestyle, not just the house. Services are FREE and fully customized to each family and their unique journey. To learn more and to connect with a Strategist, and find the place your family truly fits in visit http://bit.ly/letsbeurbanjunglemomfriends and click GET STARTED
Thank you to Urban Jungle for sponsoring this post