THE LBMF WARDROBE ESSENTIALS GUIDE: I’ve mentioned this before but I had cut back on shopping for “myself” almost altogether since the summer. What started out unintentional, being busy with a newborn, moving into a new house has recently become intentional. Our culture of buy buy buy has become a little much lately and I found myself falling pray to purchasing things that I didn’t really need (a new top because it was “cute” but actually only wearing it 2 or 3 times) . Recognizing the wastefulness of it all combined with a less is more approach I’ve made an effort to streamline my closet / get rid of what I don’t wear and only purchase things that: 1. I know I will get a ton of use out of (I don’t know about you guys but I tend to wear the same things over & over again) 2. fill the gaps in my wardrobe and 3. are investment pieces I will have for the long run. To kick off the blog post series I’m sharing my TOP 10 CLOSET STAPLES. I’ll be adding 1-2 essentials to this list below every week (giving you both high quality (splurge) and budget friendly options) and I will also share a different way to style the item on my Instagram and the liketoknowit app.
1. IVORY KNIT: A quality ivory sweater is an essential winter must have in my book. I know purchasing multiple styles and variations of an ivory knit is something that I will not only wear on a regular basis but I will continue to wear season after season. The specific style I’m wearing in my Instagram post is linked here and I’ve also included splurge vs steal options above. I like Theory & Vince for quality styles that will last over the years and H&M for budget friendly finds.
2. EVERYDAY FLEECE: I talk about these Dudley Stephen’s fleeces a lot on the blog which is because I truly love the brand and it’s something that I wear ALL of the time. In case you missed it I did a my first ever IGTV video styling the item for Drop off/ The office/ Girls night (full outfit details: HERE) I started off wearing the cobble hill (still great for throwing on with leggings or if you are preggers (a must have) but I’ve found myself reaching for my park slope a lot more these days because you can pair it with anything! Also I always get questions about the fleece material & sizing. Fleece: The Vello fleece is more structured and I would suggest for the colder months while the Terry fleece is light-weight and you can wear it all year round! Sizing: I wear size small in Park Slope to layer with other pieces and size extra-small in the Cobble Hill) They run pretty true to size but I would suggest sizing up if in between.
4. LAYERING CAMI: I love a pretty lace cami to layer underneath blazers & oversized sweaters. This particular style is a bit pricer but I love the lace detailing to also wear on it’s own for date night. It’s another item that gets a lot of rotation in my closet all year round so I also have both a splurge & a few budget friendly styles which I’ve linked above.
5. Spanx Faux Leather Leggings: A new purchase for me in 2019. It’s gotten to the point where Frank has asked me if I own any other pants? What can I say? They are super comfortable and I feel slightly more pulled together when I’m wearing these faux leather style over my Lululemon aligns (which I also love) They go with everything and hold you in post baby.
7. White Tee: hands down my favorite tee is under $10 at H&M. I have a few of them and rotate throughout the week.
8. Statement BOOTIE: you guys know I’ve been obsessed with these snakeskin booties. I know I’ve been getting my moneys worth lol when my mom recently asked me if I wear any other shoes?
9. White button down: I was recently asked to try out shirts from the brand Grayson and I’m really loving their button downs. They make classic, machine washable and super flattering button downs. A white style is a must have for any closet or season in my book.
10. Winter Boots: I’ve been sporting this winter boot from UGG for the past few years. I really would love an ivory color and have had my eye on this pair for quite some time but I haven’t pulled the trigger because I know I don’t really need a new pair until these give out. Linked some more of my favorites above